Winter Shelter (WISH)
Winter Shelter (WISH) is an ecumenical program that serves homeless people in Sacramento County. Each participating faith community hosts one or more nights, providing homeless guests with a warm and safe place to sleep during the winter months. Guests are served a hearty evening meal and a parting breakfast in the morning. In addition to serving the physical needs of program guests, St. Mark’s seeks to minister to the soul and spirit, providing individuals with a sense of dignity, safety, and belonging.
St. Mark’s 2018 tour of duty will be for: November 26 (pm) – November 30 (am)
2019 tour od duty will be for: January 14 (pm) – January 18 (am).
You can make a difference in the life of someone who is homeless.
Sign up Now to Volunteer
Please contact Dick or Jan at (916) 376-7637 or email@example.com for more information.
- Facilities Set-Up from 3:30 to 6:00pm –Set up tables, chairs, table cloths, drink stations and other accommodations. A diagram is provided. Also check restrooms for paper goods.
- Greet Guests from 5:00 to 6:30pm – Greeters welcome guests as they depart buses and direct them to MacMurdo Hall.
- Dinner Prep & Service starting at 3:30pm – Food preparation and service for 140 people, including guests and volunteers. Provide a ready prepared dinner or use the St. Mark’s kitchen. Kitchen operations include prep, serve and clean-up.
- Table Hosts from 5:00 to 8:00pm – Socialize with guests; help them settle in; set out and play games; eat dinner with guests; and assist with kitchen clean-up as needed.
- Foot Washing from 6:45 to 8:30pm – Clean and fill tubs with water; perform foot washing services; and clean up area at 8pm.
- Clothing Distribution from 6:00 to 8:30pm – On designated evenings during the first week of shelter, assist guests with selecting clothing and toiletry items. Process and replenish stock of donated goods.
- The Breakfast Club from 4:45 to 7:00am – Breakfast is provided for 100 to 110 guests. Provide hard-boiled eggs, juice, bagels, cereal and coffee. Kitchen set-up and clean-up
Please sign up for Food Donations for WiSh!
Here’s how it works in 3 easy steps:
1. Click this link to go to our invitation page on SignUp.com: https://signup.com/client/invitation2/secure/2455316/false#/invitation
2. Enter your email address: (you will not need to register an account on SignUp.com)
3. Sign up! Choose your spots – SignUp.com will send
you an automated confirmation and reminders. Easy!
Note: SignUp.com does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact me and I can sign you up manually.